Who doesn’t love charty goodness? Everyone that I know does. Dynamic charty goodness on a dashboard? Yes please?!
With that said, you can imagine how excited I was when I came across Dashing, a Sinatra based framework that lets you build beautiful dashboards. However my excitement was short lived when, while I was working on my home dashboard (weather, RSS feeds, the daily Dilbert cartoon), I discovered the RSS widget I was using wouldn’t pull in feeds from StackOverflow.
Well that’s a no go, so I updated the existing widget and created RSS Feeds (Updated). Using the widget is super easy:
- Download all of the widget files
- Copy news.html, news.coffee, and news.scss into the /widgets/news directory
- Put the news.rb file in your /jobs folder
- Add any rss feed urls you want fetched to the hash at the top of news.rb along with the widget id to send data to (there are a few already in the file)
- Add the provided snippet to your dashboard
- Restart dashing
- Enjoy the awesome