Welcome to FusionCell. I’m Robert Dempsey.
I’ve been in the technology industry for more than 18 years, but over the past four I’ve been focused on machine learning.
I’ve had the great fortune to work side-by-side with many excellent software engineers and data scientists to design, develop, monitor and maintain smart systems that gather, process, enrich, analyze and visualize data, all for the purpose of of creating actionable insights.
In addition to implementing machine learning I also write books and teach both in-person and online courses. Recently I launched my Intro to Data Science online course, and taught machine learning on big data at a multi-billion dollar company here in Northern Virginia.
If you want more details you’ll find them in the bullets below, but first let me explain where the name of this website came from.
Where the Name “FusionCell” Came From
I’m a huge fan of many thing military, so I read a lot of books, especially about special forces and the intelligence world. I first learned of the term “fusion cell” in the book Killer Elite by Michael Smith.
A “fusion cell” is a combination of multi-disciplinary teams set up to analyze and distribute multi-source intelligence custom-tailored to the needs of the group receiving it. In the intelligence world that might mean the CIA, NSA, DIA, FBI, Military Intelligence groups, and other “three-letter” government agencies.
To be successful at data science, you need to gain a fusion of three skills:
- Software engineering
- Algorithms (stats & math)
- Data communication
Here at FusionCell we focus on helping two groups:
- Individuals who want to learn data science
- Companies who want to leverage data science
For the individual we offer articles, online courses and in-person training.
For companies we offer consulting, implementation and training services.
Still with me? Awesome! Here are some more details.
Flagship Online Courses
- Python Business Intelligence Cookbook (Packt Publishing)
- Building Machine Learning Pipelines (co-authoring with Brandon Rose)
Areas of Technical Expertise
- Distributed data gathering and processing systems
- API development
- Machine learning with Python (scikit-learn and Spark MLlib)
- Cloud computing, specifically Amazon Web Services
My “Typical” Tech Stack
- Apache Kafka
- Apache Spark (PySpark and MLlib)
- Many Amazon Web Services (too many to list individually – you’d get bored real quick)